How To Walk 10000 Steps A Day
At the end of the day, we’re all aiming to be in good health and walking at least 10,000 steps a day can go a long way to helping us achieve this. This equates to walking approximately 5 miles a day, which to the average person should take around an hour and 15 minutes to complete. A general recommendation for fitness is to partake in at least 60 minutes of physical activity on a daily basis, thus making having a goal of 10,000 steps a day a great way to go about this.
Unfortunately, for a lot of people with busy schedules and limited time, getting an hour of physical exercise in a day can be difficult. The good news is, that you can achieve this goal by breaking up this hour into shorter periods throughout the day. Here are our tips to achieve a target of 10,000 steps a day.
1. When out shopping, try parking your car further away than you normally would and enjoy a longer walk to the store.
2. Try a new hobby! A physical hobby such as geocaching is a fun way to get more steps in during the day and can be enjoyed by the whole family.
3. Mow the lawn. Mowing your lawn is a fantastic way to add exercise to your day, even if you have a small garden.
4. Do you have a regular 15 minute break at work? Why not use it to go for a long walk or perhaps up and down a few flights of stairs?
5. Wake up half an hour earlier than you usually do and go for a walk. You’ll feel much better for it.
6. Walk your dog! If you don’t have a dog, ask your neighbour if you can walk theirs.
7. Jump on your bike next time you go to the supermarket.
8. Instead of lounging around on the couch and watching TV, try listening to some music and cleaning the house.
9. Join a local walk group.
10. Plan some active weekend activities such as cycling, hiking or kayaking.
Do you have any more ideas on how to walk 10000 steps a day? We’d love to hear from you! You can tweet us here or join our Facebook page here!