5 Legitimate Reasons To Skip The Gym
Some days, especially during the winter season, you just don’t feel like leaving the comfort of your warm bed to go to the gym and workout! In order to achieve your fitness goals, it’s important to push on and find the motivation to workout during these times. Having said this, there are instances when it is okay to miss a workout without feeling guilty.
Here are five legitimate reasons to skip the gym! Send em’ to your gym buddy the next time they give you hard time!
- If you’re injured. This is common sense really, if you are suffering from an injury you should give yourself time to rest and heal. By attempting to push on and working out with an injury, you could end up making matters worse. On a side note, if you are suffering from stiff and sore muscles it may also be advisable to skip the gym and allow your body to recuperate.
- If you exercise a lot already during the week. If you are already exercising at least three times a week, it is okay to occasionally miss your fourth or fifth session. A problem only arises if this becomes a habit and you start missing multiple gym sessions at a time. Try to remain accountable.
- If you’re sick. By this, we don’t mean just a runny nose! If you’re feeling ill then don’t think that working out will make you feel better. At times like these it is best to allow your body time to heal.
- If you haven’t had enough sleep. If you had a restless night and feel tired, give yourself a well earned rest. Working out in such a state can increase your chances of getting injured. You are not as mentally alert when you are tired, are slower to react and have a weakened immune system. Take a break from the gym and don’t feel guilty about missing a workout.
- You have recently given birth or had surgery. The body needs rest if it has gone through any sort of recent trauma. If you have any doubts as to when you should start exercising again, arrange an appointment with your local doctor or a medical profession and get some advice.