8 Tips On How To Stick To Your New Years Resolutions

8 Tips On How To Stick To Your New Years Resolutions

It’s that time of year again, to make and attempt to stick to your new years resolutions. The easy part is coming up with them. The hard part is actually following up and achieving those goals. Research has in fact concluded that it’s so hard, that a massive 92% fail to see their resolutions through. Whilst that statistic isn’t exactly encouraging, with the right mindset it is possible to achieve your new goals.

Let’s look at how you can stick to your new years resolutions:

Keep Your Resolutions Realistic

According to the American Psychological Association, you should keep the majority of your resolutions small, as unrealistic goals are doomed to fail. Take for example a new year’s resolution to be more physically active. To go from not working out at all to going to the gym six to seven days a week isn’t realistic, it would be better to set yourself a target of going to the gym three times a week instead. This way you won’t feel overwhelmed or defeated by your resolutions.

Be Specific

The more specific you can be with your resolutions, the better. Try to make them measurable goals, perhaps setting a time in which you wish to achieve them. For instance rather than saying “I want to lose weight”, your goal would be “I want to lose 20 pounds by 1st September this year”.

Tell Your Friends About Your Goals

Just by telling others about your new year’s resolutions will boost your chances of seeing them through. You could do this by sharing them on a social media channel or just by telling a handful of people.

Plan Ahead

A crucial part of staying on top of things is planning. Do you need to take specific steps to achieve your goals? Taking the example that we discussed of losing 20 pounds, do you need to pre-prepare your snacks and meals for the day to stop yourself from caving into temptation?

Keep Track Of Your Progress

If your goals are measurable, you can track of them. Keeping track of your progress will give you motivation to keep pushing towards your targets. You could use one of several phone apps to log your food intake and daily exercise, or you could simply write them down in a diary. By doing this, you will be able to identify patterns where you might have overindulged on high-calorie foods for example.

Adjust Your Goals Accordingly

Another key to success is constant self-reflection, do you need to tweak your goals, or be even more specific?

Reward Yourself Along The Way

Treat yourself as you progress towards your goals, with a massage or that new book that you’ve been wanting to read. We advise not to reward yourself with fattening foods as this may lead to you building up an unhealthy relationship with food, which may be detrimental to achieving your resolutions.

Don’t Give Up!

Our last tip is to never give up! Nobody’s perfect and you’re bound to slip up along the way. The key is to not let a minor slip up turn into a bad habit and to pursue with your healthy routine. Think of the 80/20 rule, stick to your goal 80% of the time and allow yourself some down time for the other 20%. For example, by feeling a certain food is “off-limits”, it may make you crave that food and lead to binges. Go easy on yourself and allow yourself a degree of flexibility.

Don’t give up!

How are your new year’s resolutions going? Let us know on our social media channels!