What is Hydration?
Our bodies are made up of between 55 and 75 per cent water. When pushed to its limits the human body can survive weeks without food, however it’s a very different story when it comes to water. You’d be lucky to survive more than a couple of days without it. Hydration is the extremely important process of replacing water in the body. This is crucial for your body as it depends on water to survive. Did you know that every cell, tissue and organ in the human body requires water to work properly? For instance, water is used by your body to regulate temperature, carry oxygen and nutrients to cells, protect organs and tissues, remove waste and lubricate your joints. Therefore it goes without saying that water is a necessity for overall good health.
Other drinks and foods can help you in your quest to stay hydrated, however it’s worth noting that they may add extra calories to your diet. For this reason experts recommend drinking plenty of water as it contains no calories and is free from sugar and additives.
How Many Litres of Water Should You Drink a Day?
It is obvious that you should be drinking water every day, but how much water do you need for optimal body function?
As a basic guideline, the European Food Safety Authority suggest an intake of 2 litres a day for women and 2.5 litres of water a day for men. It is important to note that the amount of water that it takes to satisfy the body’s hydration needs can vary from person to person due to a number of factors.
These include your personal activity level, current body composition and the amount of water that you lose through breathing and sweating. Generally speaking, the more active you are, the more water you require for ideal health.
A simple way to gauge if you are drinking enough water is to check your urine. A transparent or yellow colour indicate that you are well hydrated, whereas a dark yellow or amber colour may suggest that you are dehydrated.
Tips For Staying Hydrated
Here are some useful pointers to remember when it comes to keeping your body hydrated:
- Keep a water bottle by your side throughout the day. A reusable water bottle such as the 2.2 litre Gym Keg which can be filled with tap water is the perfect choice and helps to keep costs down.
- Having trouble remembering to drink water throughout the day? Try following a schedule. For example, you could drink water upon awakening, with breakfast, at lunch and dinner and directly before you go to bed.
- Some people struggle with the taste of ordinary plain water, if this sounds like you, try adding a slice of lemon or lime to your drink.
- Drink water when you feel hungry. Did you know that water may help to contribute towards weight loss? Research has demonstrated that drinking water can help you feel full.
- If you’re an active person make sure to drink water before, during and after workouts. With its large 2.2 litre capacity, the Gym Keg is the perfect companion for bodybuilders and athletes alike.